Stalking, Bowhunting, Driven big game, Safari, Hunting from a Blind
A hunt for trophy sables spread out across great African brushland is a safari treasure not to be passed up. Thinking of every movement, every step, the reward of a slow, planned stalk is worth it for this exquisite antelope. Sable look good in photos but look even better in person. Sables flaunt an attractive set of long horns, a signature symbol of theirs besides a sleek black coat and serious, heavy muscling- sable weigh well over 180 kilos. Big males often give off a strong, musk odour that is easy to track for an experienced sable stalker. Although they are often referred to as the 'king of the plains game animals', sable prefer a lightly wooded habitat over clear, open grassland. They use the heavy vegetation for protection and only expose themselves to open clearings to get to a water source. Sable require more water than some of the smaller, more efficient antelope species. Follow sable marks and get to know where the local water stations are to learn the ways of the mighty sable. Such a rare opportunity, to go for a trophy sable is a pleasure known to few bow and rifle hunters, a prized trip into the heartlands of southern Africa.
Sable is the most sought after african antelope in Africa and it is among the most prized plains game trophy hunt. The hunts are carried out mostly in african countries depending upon the hunting season and sable density. Sable Hunting is done most actively in following african countries, namely:
- Mozambique: The northern region offers the finest sable trophy hunts.
- South Africa: South Africa offers the largest trophies for this beautiful african animal and the hunting is done in exclusive hunt ranches with top notch services and facilities.
- Tanzania: Another great destination to hunt this african plain game
- Namibia: The sable hunting is done in Caprivi area.
- Zambia: Another great african hunting destination offering good quality sable hunts.
- Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe also offers exceptional hunting territory for sable hunting.
Sable is a tough african game to hunt and requires great level of focus to win a trophy hunt. The recommended hunting techniques to hunt this beautiful african hunt are:
- Stalking: The traditional hunting method of walking and stalking is done in the open woodland. The hunts are carried out in early mornings or evenings as the sables are most active during these period.
- Bow Hunting
- Driven Big Game Hunting
- Safari: an african styled hunting method
- Hunting from a Blind
Scientific name: Hippotragus niger
Size: height 1,4 m
Weight: 250 kg
Lifespan: 16 years
Methods: Bow hunting, Hunting from a blind, Safari, Driven big game, Highseat, Stalking,
Continent(s): From Kenya across East Africa to southern Africa